Sunday, January 6, 2013

Spotify Tells Me What I Like

Ahh, the last day of EMU's winter break. 
A great day to blog and reflect on my holiday jams 
(as in tunes, not preserves).


Spotify tells me what I like. I use it nearly everyday. 
A monthly fee for endless music...Wherever. Whenever.



...It keeps track of my top artists as I listen. 
Here are my (surprising) top five:

1) Lily Allen
I am certainly a fan of Miss Allen, but I certainly did not expect her as my TOP artist. Apparently I enjoy listening to the funk-folk-female more than I projected. Lily Allen is perfect for the "I want to get this party going, but I don't want to be generic" situation. Her sound is contemporary and fresh while keeping the pop-rock love that is rooted deep within my brain. Hiding swear words under bubblegum pop and swinging punches in polka-dots, Lily Allen is perfect for those busy weeks when we don't have TIME to be grumpy. We can just pop our earbuds in, bob to 4/4 time, and have a nice smile. Here's my recommended Lily Allen jam!


2) Fleet Foxes
This is not a surprising rank by any means. I have faithfully listened to Fleet Foxes for about five years. Their skill is genuine and their compositions are soothing yet complex. Fleet Foxes have transcended my expectations for vocal harmonies and musical poetry. If ever Fleet Foxes are performing near you, I highly recommend the ticket. The concert at the Hill Auditorium was unwordly and can be enjoyed by any age group. Take your Grandma, your nephew, a co-worker. It will bring you closer together! Here's my recommended Fleet Foxes jam!


3) Jason Mraz
...What? I don't listen to Jason Mraz! I didn't seem him in concert...twice! In all seriousness - He's a super funky singer/songwriter than mixes folk with hip hop and a taste of musical theatre. This is not something I am willing to glance over. His concerts are a very relaxing experience. I don't lose my voice screaming or get trompled by the crowd. His yogi-cat-lovin vibes spread through the audience as you are busy keeping up with his tongue twisting lyrics (while accessing your diaphragm). Here's my recommended Jason Mraz jam!




4) Dr. Dog
Another obvious favorite, the beloved Dr. Dog. Turning familiar phrases on their ear such as "There's an elephant in my head, so I tip toe around it. There are eggshells on the floor, therefore I never touch the ground," is the quality that allows you to repeat Dr. Dog songs throughout the course of your life. The songs have taken on and helped me through so many different aspects of my life. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO, DR. DOG! Here's my recommended Dr. Dog jam!






5) Gorillaz
Perhaps I HAVE been dusting off some of my favorite tunes from Plastic Beach and Demon Days. They made it big on MTV with the release of Demon Days in 2005 with Feel Good Inc. Oh yea...that was my jam. They were also featured on The O.C. Soundtrack...which...was NOT a part of my collection...especially not all five of them...
The Gorillaz came back 2010 with Plastic Beach which is definitely worth having in your collection. Here's my recommended Gorillaz jam!







I have to give an honorable mention to The One and Only:

Thanks for reading! And listening!


No comments:

Post a Comment